Monday, April 5, 2010

New York Day 1: The Arrival

I am finally back from my amazing adventures in the big city! For the next few days I will post pictures from all the fun things I did!

We took a red-eye flight from SLC on March 26th to JFK International Airport in New York City! We arrived at 6am and immediately dived into the fun!


 Time Square was so overwhelming! All of the people and the lights and the nosie lead to a little sensory overload! It was totally different than anything I had ever been exposed to. The jet lag didn't help either. I felt like I was walking around in a dream all day long!


We are all waiting to get on the subway down to the bottom of the island. The subway was an interesting place with equally interesting sights and smells. But I love riding the subway! It's like a giant rollercoaster! After about 30 min on the subway, a bus transfer, and lots of walking we were able to get on the Staten Island Ferry and float past Lady Liberty herself.

The view from Staten Island was spectacular!
When we got back to Manhattan we decided to explore the financial district and Wall Street a little bit before dinner.
The cross-roads of Wall Street and Broadway. I figure that if I were a street corner I would be this one. Wall Street is all business, like my Political Science major, and Broadway is famous for it's amazing theatres and artistic experssion, which is my favorite thing to do in my free time.

This area was amazing! I have so many gorgeous pictures from everything in the area it would take days to show them all! So here are just some of the coolest things.


Then we went to the World Trade Center. Ground Zero. It was a lot different than what I expected. They are in the middle of construction of the memorial right now so it really isn't much more than a construction site. It is pretty crazy to think I was there. There are only a few game changing moments in history: WWI, WWII, the fall of the Berlin Wall, and 9/11. The area is still a thriving financial district. People are running to and from work but there is still a definite somber feeling in the area. 

We then headed a little further up the island to Chinatown and Little Italy. Amazing food especially the cannolis!!


After, I was able to get tickets to a Broadway show called In the Heights. I was a little hestitant because Corbin Bleu of High School Musical fame was in the lead.That was a spectalcualr show about life in Washington Heights. It was basically a show about my family really.  The music was amazing and the actors were perfect! (Yes even Corbin Bleu.) I wish I had gotten pictures of the theatre!

More pictures tomorrow!

0 comments: