Saturday, October 10, 2009

Imagine all the People...

When I first heard that President Obama had won the Nobel Peace Prize this morning I was happily surprised. I was especially impressed by the President’s humble remarks. He said “I am both surprised and deeply humbled by the decision of the Nobel Committee. Let me be clear: I do not view it as recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations. To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace”. This is the video of the President’s full remarks. I really think it is worth a watch.



I have been a fervent supporter of President Obama since the very beginning and I believe this award has the power to give him legitimacy in the eyes of many who still his potential. I can understand why people might be confused by his win but the thing I don’t understand is those that are angry about it. The international community is starting to regain trust in the American system. In this age of globalization multilateral cooperation is absolutely essential to our success as both a world power and legitimate nation. When the Nobel Committee gave this award to Obama they were essentially saying “we believe in you again and we want to support you in your pursuit of peace”. I stumbled across this little gem and couldn’t resist sharing it. Mr. Moore has taken the words right out of my mouth. Now that the Obama Administration has the trust of our international partners they must prove to them that they deserve it.

0 comments: